Aylesbury Hockey Club has recently been awarded ClubsFirst Accreditation by England Hockey.
ClubsFirst is the England Hockey version of Sport England’s ClubMark award. It means that independent assessment has recognised AHC as providing a Safe, Effective and Child-Friendly club environment.
It has taken several years hard work to build up the Club’s assessment file and to introduce all the systems and approaches into the Club’s ways of working that are demanded by ClubsFirst. The award has to be renewed every three years and is subject to annual review.
AHC was only the 2nd club in Bucks to receive this award. There are currently less than 150 hockey clubs (out of about 1100) in the UK that have achieved the award.
The accreditation scheme focuses on the four areas and the associated required policies which are summarised below:
Developing Young People in Hockey
- Providing junior-only coaching throughout the season
- Commitment to the individual development of all its young members in accordance with a development philosophy.
- Providing regular competitive opportunities for all the age groups coached.
- Having a sufficient number of appropriately qualified coaches.
- Setting out clear roles and responsibilities for all the coaches, managers and volunteers who look after the young members.
Safeguarding & Protecting Young People in Hockey
- The adoption of the England Hockey (EH) Policies and Procedures for Safeguarding and Protecting Young People.
- The appointment of a Club Welfare Officer.
- CRB checking of all those responsible for young people.
- The adoption and appreciation of Child Protection measurers.
- Adequate First Aid procedures.
- Adoption and appreciation of procedures for dealing with accidents and incidents.
- The maintenance of a secure database of all young members’ contact and consent details.
Sports Equity and Ethics
- Having an open Constitution that welcomes members from all areas of the community.
- Adopting the EH Equity Policy.
- Attendance at appropriate courses by coaches and managers.
- Adopting Codes of Conduct for all those working with young people. Having a set of rules for young members.
- Affiliation to England Hockey.
- Maintain appropriate public liability insurance.
- Membership fee and pricing policies.
- A mechanism for regular communication with parents.
- Proper management of the Club bank accounts.
- Proper co-ordination of managers, coaches & volunteers.
- A four year Development Strategy, subject to regular review.